Northwestel Jackrabbit/Bunny Program
The Bunny Program is the first level of the Active Start stage of development (children 5 years of age and younger). It has been developed in parallel with the first level of the competency-based National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP), which now provides coaching materials specific to the needs of this age group. The objective of the program is to introduce cross-country skiing and the healthy lifestyle associated with it through organized activity and active play. In addition, the program is designed to: help children develop a positive self-image, be fun, provide children with the opportunity to make ski-friends, develop fundamental movement skills, help children develop an awareness and appreciation of our natural environment.
The Jackrabbit Program is designed for the “FUNdamentals” stage of development (children 6-9 years of age). This is the second level of the skill development program. It has been developed in parallel with the second level of the competency-based NCCP, which provides coaching materials specific to the needs of skiers this age. The objective is for children to learn basic cross-country ski skills (both classic and skating) and to instill a lifelong interest in the sport, thereby enhancing their quality of life and health.
Goals of this program:
- Encourage FUN and participation
- Develop ABC’s: Agility, Balance, Coordination and speed
- Frequent cross-country skiing during the season
- Good technique habits developed through repeated practice using the Jackrabbit program awards
- Utilize games and ski playgrounds to develop technique, speed skills and fitness
- Develop a team/social atmosphere
- Introduce competition in a team environment whenever possible
Jackrabbit and Bunny Schedule:
- Sundays: 1:00 - 2:30pm (meet in the Grey Mountain Room) Snack will be served from 2:00 - 2:30pm
- Tuesdays: 3:30 - 5:00pm (meet in the Grey Mountain Room) Snack will be served between 3:30 - 4:00pm
Age Group: Ages 4 to 9
Date: Starts in January
WCCSC membership required - $32/children under 6, $70/6 yrs or older (if purchased before November 1), $75/6 yrs or older (if purchased November 1 or later). Ski package rentals are available for $75 for JR/B Program only or $100 for unlimited use at Whitehorse Nordic Centre. CAN'T AFFORD THE PROGRAM? Here are a couple of options for financial assistance. KRF - Kid's Rec Fund is administered through Sport Yukon. Funding can be used for club membership, season rental for ski equipment and program fees. Jumpstart - Canadian Tire provides funding for children to participate in cross country skiing. Funding can be used for rentals, membership and program fees.