The Yukon Ski Marathon takes inspiration from the great long-distance ski races of the world!
- A unique, point to point course that links communities together is at the centre of the adventure. The goal is for people to challenge themselves and experience the landscape around Whitehorse in a new way.
- Classic and Skate technique are both permitted; trails will be groomed by Pisten Bully and Sherpa, though a classic track will not be set for the first 10km due to narrow sections of trail. The trail will not be closed to the public on race day, so be aware of other trail users! Skiers entering the 50km race will be required to walk for approximately 1km on a gravel road near Mt. Sima where the road is plowed and it is not possible to groom a trail. There will be time cutoffs at two points on the course. Skiers in the 50km (10:00am start) must make it to Mt. Sima by 2:30pm and Harvey’s Hut by 4:00pm. Skiers in the 20km (12:00pm start) must make it to Harvey’s Hut by 4:00pm. Skiers will be allowed to continue, but they will not be in the race.
- Race organizers discourage skiers from changing skis during the race. There will be NO drop-off services for skis at the checkpoints, and race organizers will not be responsible for retrieving skis, poles, etc that are left anywhere on the race course.
- There will be four feed stations with food, drink and first aid support along the way. However, if you are unsure of your ability bring extra food, water, clothing and wax to support yourself between feed stations.
- Course description
- 50km race schedule & rules
- 20km race schedule & rules
Date: Sunday, April 2/2017
Distances: 50 km (Mt Lorne to Mt Mac) Start time: 10:00 am
20 km (Mt Sima to Mt Mac) Start time: 12:00 pm
|50 km||Open Male||Open Female|
|20 km||Open Male (2002 and earlier)||Open Female (2002 and earlier)|
|Junior Male (2003 and later)||Junior Female (2003 and later)|
Technique: Free technique, with classic track set for most of the course
Fee: $75 for 50 km race
$50 for 20 km race
Registration: through zone4 only, (registration closes March 30 at 23:59)
Transportation to Start:
- Transportation provided by bus from ski club to start locations. There are still seats available on the buses for both the 20km and 50km race, based on first come first served from now on
- Bus departs from ski club to Mt Lorne at 9:00 am and to Mt Sima at 11:00 am
- No parking in start areas, race participants who are not travelling on the bus MUST be dropped off at the start area (MT Lorne or Mt Sima).
Temperature cut-off: -25 Celsius
Bib pick up: Ski Club wax room, Sunday April 2, 8:00 am - 11:00 am. All unclaimed bibs will be taken to the race start.
Race participants responsible for bagging and labeling all ski gear, and loading on to buses. Ski bags and clothing will be taken back to Mt Mac curling lounge for pick up at end of race.
Awards: Recognition of top 3 skiers in each category, for each distance
Post race: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm snack, beverages, cash bar in curling lounge
Race Organizing Committee:
|Chief of Race||Colin Abbott|
|Chief of Course||Grant & Michael Abbott|
|Race Secretary||Susan Tinevez|
|Technical Delegate||Claude Chabot|
|Timing & Results||Beth Hawkins and team|
For more information or to make registration changes email race secretary at email@example.com.